Thursday, April 5, 2018

Author Interview with Sally Brandle

Today I welcome writer Sally Brandle. Sally is the author of The Hitman's Mistake. This is book one in the Love Thrives in Emma Springs series. Sally proudly creates sizzling romantic suspense stories without intimate sex scenes. Are they sweet? Not if you enjoy villains receiving appropriate consequences for their actions. Her career allowed her to travel to Montana, the setting for her first series, Love Thrives in Emma Springs.  Another romantic suspense series with a science twist, Double Vision, will be forthcoming.


·         What made you decide to become a writer? I’m descended from story tellers and also was the one in the office people turned to for the final look at important letters or documents. The impetus to write romance came during an extended trip to visit my brother in Costa Rica. Reading became the logical thing to occupy hot, humid afternoons. After plowing through seven romance novels, I declared to my husband that I enjoyed witty dialogue and the chase way more than the sex scenes, and certainly I could craft a love story without those details. The challenge landed squarely onto my laptop.

·         Who are some of your favorite authors and why? Mary Balogh, Fern Michaels, Jayne Anne Krentz, Deborah Coonts, and most recently Beatriz Williams. I love snappy banter between a hero and heroine. I don’t enjoy backstabbing female secondary characters or indecisive heroes and leave them out of my stories.

·         If you could be any character in any book, who would it be and why? Annie, from Fern Michael’s Sisterhood series. She’s wealthy and able to put her money to work exacting revenge on people who thwarted the justice system. I’m a Libra and that scale needs to balance.

·         Do you have any hobbies you would like to share? I make water colored, stamped greeting cards with my best friend. I plan to revisit spinning and knitting this summer, to transform the bins of mohair trimmed years ago from my goats into sweaters.

·         Tell me about your first kiss? Was it magical or not so magical? The back story moments were magical. Overweight kid (moi) lost forty pounds over the summer. Freshman year in high school, the new-to-town and very cool southern dude invites me to his year-end basketball party in another kid’s basement. His braces—not so magical during the first kiss.

·         Do you have another career besides writing? If so, what is it? I’ve remained a technical consultant to a commercial French pastry company. The owners and new regional manager are my friends. I enjoy seeing customers at local trade shows.

·         What’s an item on your bucket list that you haven’t done yet? There are two things I hope to combine in one trip. First, I’d book a prime seat to view the Radio City Rockettes dancing. Next, embark on a river cruise including a visit to The State Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg, Russia. I recently read The Madonna’s of Leningrad, a book creating a stunning backdrop to the heartaches and beauty surrounding the paintings which were saved when Germany invaded Russia in WWII. I’ve been involved volunteering with art museums throughout my adult life, and the show which moved me the most contained pieces from The Hermitage collection.

·         Tell us the best vacation you have ever been on. My husband and I traveled to Moorea, Tahiti. We encountered flawless coral reefs, fabulous Polynesian people, and met dear Italian friends whom we treasure.

·         Where do you find the inspiration for your books? Many things I describe occurred while growing up in rural Michigan, other ideas zoom into my imagination with the conviction of an angry hummingbird protecting the feeder.

·         Is there anything else you would like to share with your fans? I grew up being coached by wonderful older brothers, successfully worked in a male dominated industry, and co-parented two sons with my loving husband. Women have gifts which can intertwine with male partners to make the union stronger. By supporting each other without  jealousy or insecurity, the world wins.

    Blurb from The Hitman's Mistake:

Miranda Whitley’s been told to flee from a felony crime scene in Seattle involving a crooked cop and a mob boss. She tracks FBI Agent Grant Morley to a mountain near his vacation home in Montana to enlist his help, but after he finds her wounded in the woods, threads of deceit weave her version of the circumstances into conflicting patterns. Witness or accomplice? Discover how Miranda and Grant fight off killers intent on silencing her, while losing their battle against a love that can’t be denied. 

    Excerpt from The Hitman's Mistake:

Story, as in fable? Seems you’ve questioned my innocence and then sugarcoated your views like the apples on my plate.”

“Your words, not mine,” Grant said quietly.
"Whatever.” Miranda jabbed a tiny piece of apple, and chewed it slowly. Irritation thrummed in her chest. “I’d bet lucky women have found you at their stove in a gingham apron with your tool, Agent Morley."
His eyebrows shot up. "You owe me a home cooked feast after that comment, Ms. Whitley."
"Your personal chef? I think not. Maybe I’ll spring for a real cup of coffee for you at the espresso shop to pay my debt."
"Too good for the Coffee Klatch?” He cast her a side eye. “I observed you spying on us a couple times when you weren't bending over your flower pots."
She raised her eyebrows. “Bending is what you noticed?”
Crimson rose from his collar to his cheeks. “Whatever.”
Logs sputtered in the fire.
She glanced at his revolver. "Corrin needs to know I'm safe. My phone’s zipped in my coat pocket, with my tube of gloss." She rubbed her fingertips across her dry lips.
His eyes followed the movement. "Your cell got damp. We'll use mine.” He fished the gloss out and placed it on the table. "Let’s go before the temperature drops anymore."
“Good plan.” She grabbed the strawberry scented lip balm, ignored the arm he offered, and took small steps out to where the animals stood huddled together.
Red's distinctive mule-nicker welcomed her. "You're happy I'm here, aren't you?" She ran her fingers through the warmth of his winter coat, and rubbed slow strokes the length of his cheek. "With a fearless mule, who needs a G-man?"
“Oh brother,” he grumbled from a few steps behind her.
She turned sideways, took out the lip-gloss and slowly glided it across her upper and then lower lip.
Grant stopped dead in his tracks.
His blazing eyes were anything but dead.
Bio of Sally Brandle:
            Multiple award-winning author Sally Brandle writes clean, contemporary, romantic suspense stories hoping to empower her readers to connect with their inner gifts. Growing up in a tightly knit, multi-generational community, Sally’s core values reflect those of the village where she was raised.     
       
When she gets time away from her functional engineer husband and spirited sons, Sally hunkers down in her office. Her trusty Aussie, Tallulah, waits patiently at her feet for belly rubs as adventures unfold. For a head-clearing ride in fresh air, Sally saddles her Quarter Horse, Lance, and trots along wooded trails in the Pacific Northwest.

            Sally holds a BA in Special Education from MSU and a Fine Arts Minor. She left a career as an industrial baking instructor so she could bring to life her stories of courageous women supporting one another, while they discover men who deserve their love. A member of Romance Writers of America, Greater Seattle RWA, Eastside RWA, and She Writes, Sally’s current series, Love Thrives in Emma Springs, is set in rural Montana. The  first story, The Hitman’s Revenge, will be released by Soul Mate Publishing. Her newest series is Double Vision, romance with a scientific twist. Check out her website at www.sallybrandle.com


No comments:

Post a Comment