Friday, November 25, 2016

Carly Got Her Groove Back

Hey Guys, it's actually Carly this week on her own blog! I hope all of you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with your friends and family. This was the first one since my dad passed in December. It's been a little rough, but we have to carry on. 

I have been rather neglectful with my writing. This time last year my dad was in and out of the hospital. There was always something happening so there wasn't time to write. I was lucky that I was nearly done with Sasha Bishop: Shifter when all this occurred. I was able to get the book finished and submitted early this year for the June 1st release date.

I had plans for the last book in the Sasha series, the last book in the Forest of the Mist series, and a stand alone book that were bumping around in my head. All of that took a back seat though as family matters took precedence. I would write a sentence or two on one of the books and then set it aside for a couple of weeks. In other words, I was getting nowhere fast. I tried everything to get the storylines to appear. I used music, exercise, binge watched movies and TV series on Netflix. All of these things used to help me get my creative mojo going. Unfortunately, nothing worked. 

More things happened with job difficulties, family, friends, you name it...something was always put ahead of the writing. I would come up with a fabulous plot line and then write myself into a corner. Ugh, it drove me nuts.

Everybody kept telling me that I needed to slow down. I had a rough couple of years and met myself coming and going. Basically, I was tired. I didn't realize how tired I had become. I used to stay up writing at night, but now I could barely function after ten. So, I allowed myself to take a break. It felt wrong, it felt lazy, it felt like I was a slacker. It was the best thing for me. I'm not nearly as cranky as I used to be. I feel better and stronger. My headaches are not as frequent. I'm laughing and having fun again. It's been a slow process, but I am finally coming back around. Recently, I started writing on the WIP's. I'm excited to be back into the storylines that I left dangling months ago. I know my little hiatus has put me behind and will delay the last book of both series, but it was something that had to be done.   

I know I am not the only writer to have suffered the "crash and burn" syndrome. I know everybody has their own way of coping with it. For me, a little mental vacation was needed and worked. For those of you waiting on those last books, I hope to have them written by mid 2017 for a possible end of the year release date. Please be patient and know they are coming.

Thanks to all of you who are a fan. You guys make it all worth while.

Carly :)





No comments:

Post a Comment