Wednesday, July 5, 2017

What I Did on my Summer Vacation by: Carly Jordynn

Hey guys, it's Carly and I'm on my own blog today. How many times did you come back to school after summer break, just to have to write the essay of what you did over the summer? Since I didn't have anybody scheduled for today, I thought I would share what I have been doing so far.

School let out the last week of May. That meant that I could sleep 90 extra minutes each morning since I didn't have to get my middle schooler up for school. That 90 minutes has made a huge difference in my life. I'm loving it!

In June, I had a lot of doctor's appointments going on, not only for myself, but for my family. Thankfully, by the end of the month, all issues were resolved. 

During June, I was able to do a lot of reading both for pleasure and work. Of course, I devoured the new Cassandra Clare book, LORD OF SHADOWS. I also loved Carolyn Haine's new book, STICKS AND STONES. I have to say, the book that surprised me the most was one I was asked to read by a friend of mine. It was written by her son, Bailey, who is 17 or 18 years old...sorry, can't remember his exact age. I have known this family for many years, attend Church with them, and have dinner with Bailey's mom once a month.  I have known Bailey since he was a little boy. I'm usually leery when asked to read something written by someone I know. Sometimes it's hard to be objective or you don't want to hurt their feelings...you guys know what I mean...it's hard.

Bailey's mom gave me his book on a thumb drive. All she told me was the genre, science fiction, and that it wasn't overly long. I was in the middle of reviewing a book for my blog so I had to postpone reading Bailey's book. I finally popped in the drive one afternoon and began to read. He has written a little over 27,000 words so far and I have to say, the story is flat out amazing. I decided then and there that I would do more than just read his book and give my opinion. I edited the first ten pages. It had all the typical first time mechanical errors. By doing the first ten, Bailey will be able to see what I am talking about and make those corrections throughout his manuscript. I read the rest of the story and was pleasantly surprised. He takes you deep into the parallel world with complex characters. The thing is, he sets it up so vividly that you don't have any problem imagining it. Stating the characters are complex is a bit of an understatement, but again, he describes and writes it so well that you don't have any problems following along. There were times when his story totally took me by surprise. There was no way to predict what would happen next. Yes, folks, his story is that good. I found myself drawn in and wanting to know more. I have spoken to Bailey's mom and grandmother about this book and told them they need to seriously encourage him in his writing. He has what it takes to make it...all he needs is a little editing, which he will learn with practice and time.

For the rest of my summer, I have an appointment for new author photos, as well as, new modeling portfolio pictures for my daughter. I have a few weekend and day trips planned. Oh, another surprise back in June...a friend from college was in town for a conference. He called and we went out to dinner at Abuelos. He's still as handsome as ever, not only in looks, but in his personality. He makes me laugh. I had a wonderful time and hope to see him again some day.

At the end of this month, I have a reunion to attend at a friend's farm. The reunion is a group from the Baptist Student Union from NKU in the 1980's. Wow, the memories from that time :) Last year was our first reunion. It had been around 30 years since I had seen some of these folks. Our campus minister was able to make it in and we had around 70 people show up. Hoping this year is even bigger. It's great to catch up with everyone again.

Last but not least is the changes I am making with me. For one, I am more active in my Church which is something I have wanted for a long time now. For another, a dear friend passed away a couple of years ago. He was an athlete and I...well let's just say I could win at couch potato sitting LOL. About a month ago, I decided I would complete a 5k in his memory. I have no delusions of being able to run the whole thing, but I would like to be able to do a part walk/part run. I started a little over 2 weeks ago. The race I have picked out is in March. So far I have lost 6.6 pounds. Yesterday, I walked 2 miles in 45 minutes. Maybe when I get good enough to run some of it, my time will improve. Hopefully by March, I will be able to complete the 3 miles in an hour. That is my goal. 

Oh, before I forget, I am still writing on the final book in the Forest of the Mist series and the final book in the Sasha series. I hope to have them finished by the end of October. ETA for publication would be spring of 2018.

Hope you guys have a wonderful summer!

Carly

Follow Carly on Social Media:

www.facebook.com/carlyjordynn777
www.carlyjordynn.com
www.twitter.com/@CarlyJordynn
www.pinterest.com/CarlyJordynn

Author Bio:

Carly Jordynn is a writer from Northern Kentucky. Her books are published by Soul Mate Publishing and are available on Amazon in e-book and on Barnes and Noble for paperback versions. When Carly isn't writing, she enjoys spending time with her family, working at Church, walking, music, movies, traveling, party planning, shopping and reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment