Tuesday, October 25, 2016

AUTHOR INTERVIEW WITH NANCY FRASER

Carly's View welcomes writer Nancy Fraser, author of  EYE OF THE PHARAOH.

       ·         What made you decide to become a writer?

Actually, it was decided for me … by a very obstinate muse. I began writing romance on a dare after I stupidly said, “anyone can write one of these” to a co-worker. She dared me to try. Once I had the “bug”, I couldn’t shake it. I’d always enjoyed writing but had concentrated on articles or essays.

      ·         Who are some of your favorite authors and why?

Elizabeth Lowell: Her early Harlequin and Silhouette romances gave me focus. No matter how “category” the story, you always learned something from her books.

Willa Blair: I love her Scottish heroes and writing style.

Linda Lael Miller: Her love scenes are the best!


·         If you could be any character in any book, who would it be and why?

Mandy, the heroine from Elizabeth Lowell’s Chain Lightning. She’s suffered unimaginable loss, yet is resilient beyond belief. Her strength of character is something I’ve always strived to emulate.

·         Do you have any hobbies you would like to share?

Cooking. I love to experiment with different taste. Last fall/winter, I set a goal to make a new, “experimental” soup every week. It was the most fun I’ve had cooking in ages.

·         Tell me about your first kiss? Was it magical or not so magical?

Do you have any idea how long ago that was?? If I remember correctly, it was awkward. We bumped noses at least twice.

·         Do you have another career besides writing? If so, what is it?

After 50+ years in a variety of fields, I no longer work outside my home, but I am a full-time grandmother. All five of my grandchildren live within a 20 minute drive so I spend a good deal of time each week with them, especially the three year old. He’s definitely grandma’s boy.

·         What’s an item on your bucket list that you haven’t done yet?

Riding in a hot air balloon. Oh, and making the NYT Bestseller list.

·         Tell us the best vacation you have ever been on.

Any trip to Las Vegas is a great vacation. I’d wanted to go all my adult life and made my first trip in the fall of 2014. I’ve been back five times since.

·         Where do you find the inspiration for your books?

All over the place. The book I’m working on now was the result of my publisher’s submission call for books where the hero and heroine are “stranded”. I figured the ultimate stranding was Dorothy in Oz, so I’m doing a story titled, Waking Up in Oz and setting it in the mid-1970s.

I’ve also written books based on stories people have shared and items I’ve found stashed away in shoe-boxes. If you have a playful and imaginative muse, you can fashion a romance out of almost anything.

·         Is there anything else you would like to share with your fans?

Every book I write comes from my heart … even the naughty ones. I know some readers prefer to stick to a certain genre while others will read almost any type of romance in search of a happily-ever-after.

Personally, I prefer to read and write across all genres. I jump from one to another with gleeful abandon and follow that fickle (although playful) muse of mine down many a strange road.

I appreciate any reader who takes the time to read my work and would love to connect with them on social media.

Thank you for talking with me today, Nancy.

Want to know more about Nancy and her latest release?

The idea for Eye of the Pharaoh came about following a trip to the Field Museum in Chicago. For the longest time afterward, I couldn’t get the images of ancient Egypt out of my head. Then, out of the blue, I received a gift from a relative who had passed...a gorgeous necklace fashioned like an Egyptian collar. The late relative had no way of knowing about my recent fascination with Egypt so I took it as a sign. There was obviously a story inside me begging to come out.

BLURB FOR EYE OF THE PHARAOH:

Publicist Teri Hunter has her hands full promoting Professor Joshua Cain and his new non-fiction book, The Pharaoh’s Mummy. She’s not convinced it’s even possible to turn this absent-minded, modern-day, Indiana Jones into a best-selling author.

Dr. Cain’s PhDs in archaeology and art history have prepared him for almost anything on the lecture circuit and among ancient ruins. He’s just not sure about a book tour...or the sexy publicist sent to monitor his every professional move.

When an odd request falls in their laps while in New Orleans, Josh and Teri find themselves transported to 1920’s Egypt where they must resolve an ancient curse in order to be sent home. Will the dangers facing them hinder their success and threaten their very lives? Or will help from an ancient guardian keep them on-track and safe?

EXCERPT FROM EYE OF THE PHARAOH:

Wake up. Kick ass. Repeat.

Teri Hunter mouthed the motivational phrase she’d chosen for her personal mantra as she stepped across the threshold into the dark and musty storeroom.

A dim light shone from a glass-enclosed workroom in the far corner. Taking a tentative step forward, she faltered when the floorboards creaked beneath her feet. Something fast and furry brushed against her ankle. A shiver ran down her back, yet she fought the urge to retreat.

Do one thing every day that scares you.

This was obviously today’s obstacle. Were it not for her professional commitments and intricately organized schedule, she’d have no doubt bolted for the door and returned to the safety and illumination of the main building.

‘Sorry, but the storage area doesn’t have overhead lighting. Preservation of the antiquities. You understand.’ The dean’s words echoed in her head. To make matters worse, what little outside light there was had become nearly non-existent due to an impending thunderstorm.

Drawing a deep breath, she took a second step and then a third, winding her way past a half-dozen crates, some open, some not. To her left she heard a rustling of paper; to her right the distinct sound of footsteps.

Her apprehension grew, the hair on her forearms stood at attention. She’d barely made it halfway across the room before bumping into something large and solid. Reaching out, she laid her hand against the oversized object. Slowly, she raised her head and came face to face with the painted mask of an Egyptian noble. The chipped finish gave the death mask a deranged look.

“You come here often, big boy?”

BUY LINK FOR EYE OF THE PHARAOH:

Buy Links:  Amazon  (embedded)





1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for hosting me today, Carly. I look forward to coming back later to answer any reader questions.

    ReplyDelete